Application Information 2017
Applications for our 2017 funding round are now closed.
We have one funding round per annum, and open for applications in May each year.
Who Can Apply?
Charities and community organisations that benefit the Western Bay of Plenty region of New Zealand.
- The Western Bay of Plenty region encompasses Waihi Beach, Katikati, Kaimai, Tauranga, Te Puke and Maketu, including Paengaora, Pongakawa and Pukehina.
- Eastern Bay of Plenty includes the districts around Whakatane, Opotiki and Kawerau, but not Rotorua, Minginui or Murupara.
Acorn will provide funding for any charitable purpose (meaning every purpose which in accordance with the law of New Zealand is charitable,) within our stated priority areas. The Acorn Foundation will consider applications for project costs and also for general operating costs, including salaries/wages, rent and vehicle operating costs.
2017 Funding Priorities
The following categories have been identified by our Vital Signs® research as needing extra support and have been selected as our priority funding areas in 2017:
Belonging and Engagement
- Activities that build strong communities and neighbourhoods
- Increase involvement of marginalised and minority groups
- Reduce intolerance, bullying and racism
- Support children and youth to develop skills to cope with challenges in life, and that foster positive connections to home, school, peers, and community
- Initiatives associated with good parenting and preventing domestic violence, to allow children to be brought up in a safe, stable and positive environment
- Reduce drug and alcohol abuse
- Reduce domestic violence
- Improve neighbourhood and community safety
- Improve basic household financial skills
- Support transition from unemployment to workforce
- Programmes that address social inequities
We will not fund:
- Individuals (other than specific scholarships – see our scholarships page),
- Groups that are not incorporated,
- Capital items costing more than $1500,
- Core education,
- Overseas travel,
- Religious or political advocacy,
- Retrospective claims
- Charities whose primary focus falls within the following:
- Arts & Culture
- Sport & Recreation
Tindall Foundation funding
The Acorn Foundation also distributes funds on behalf of The Tindall Foundation, supporting Families and Social Services.
Tindall Foundation funding priorities include community groups that deliver:
- Community Services and Development,
- Early Years (up to age 7),
- Youth Development,
- Literacy & Numeracy (but not Core Education),
- Migrant/Refugee & Cross Cultural,
- Business or Investment Capital,
- Capital Assets costing over $1500,
- Core Education/Scholarships,
- Establishment of Charities,
- Loans and Endowment funds,
- Overseas Travel/Expenses,
- Religious or Political advocacy,
- Sport & Recreation,
- Retrospective claims,
- Venture Capital initiatives.
There is an upper limit of $10,000 per application.
When To Apply
We have one funding round per annum. Preliminary applications opened on the 8th May 2017 and close Preliminary applications close at 3pm on the 29th May 2017.
If you are unsure whether you can apply to the Acorn Foundation for funding, please contact Margot McCool or Estelle Steinmann on
07 579 9839.
We have a two step application process. The simple preliminary application will help us ascertain whether your organisation or project fits within our priorities and criteria. We will advise you of this very quickly (usually within a week of applying) and if applicable we will invite you to complete a full application. We visit groups we are unfamiliar with or who we haven’t had contact with for some time. Once all visits are completed our Distributions Committee meet (in early August) to decide on the successful applicants, and the decisions are announced mid August.
Generosity NZ provides extensive details on other funding options available in New Zealand.
Become an Acorn Donor Today
See how Acorn Foundation
is making a difference
is making a difference
Stay up to date with our
Apply for Acorn Foundation Funding
We are always happy to hear from you Get in touch
© © Acorn Foundation 2016 | Site by Whitfield Consulting