Events: Donor & Friends Function: March 2019
What a fantastic night we had at The Kollective at our Donors & Friends function on Tuesday 26th March. Thanks to all the speakers and entertainers wo worked hard to share their stories and gifts with us:
- Angela Wallace and Tania Lewis Rickard spoke about Awhina House, Tauranga's new women’s night shelter opening in April;
- Steve Campbell spoke about the extensive Youth Search and Rescue programme;
- Sophie Turner, who attends the Mockingbird programme, sang several beautiful songs for the audience;
- Dan Allen-Gordon of Youth Development Trust talked about the Project K portion of the Graeme Dingle Foundation and had Brylee, one of the current students in Project K, describe her experiences;
- Tia Strauss, the 2019 recipient of the University of Waikato Adult Education Eva Trowbridge scholarship spoke about her excitement at beginning University at the age of 56;
- Chris Baskett from Books A Plenty shared information about the four short-list books for the 2019 NZ Book Awards Acorn Foundation Fiction Prize;
- Cathy Donnelly represented The Kollective, sharing details about the building;
- The Tauranga Boy’s College Jazz band, Mason Jar, finished up the evening with some fantastic music on the deck.
And finally, thoughout the evening the Acorn Team were supported in the hosting duties by five outstanding student scholarship winners from Outward Bound and Priority One’s InStep programme. These students did a fabulous job, and certainly did their respective schools proud!
Our donors appreciate the chance to see their generosity in action, and hear from groups within the community who are working tirelessly to support areas in need in the WBOP. For us, it is pleasure to bring these parties together and chat with our much valued donors and friends.