A Giving Circle comprises a group of at least 10 people who each make a regular monthly donation of $50 or more and who get together to decide where their money should go.
The members of the Giving Circle talk about the needs in the local community, and the Acorn team provide information about charities in our region, arrange speakers or even take a Circle to visit a charity they are interested in supporting.
There is also a really nice opportunity for Giving Circles to contribute to the Acorn Foundation Vital Impact Fund, which funds organisations that deliver programmes to address the greatest needs in the community.
Benefits of creating or joining a Giving Circle
- It’s a great way to meet people and be part of a group that can make a tangible difference in our community.
- It’s a nice, social way to get into giving, with the support and camaraderie of like-minded people.
- Pooling financial resources with friends and colleagues means that your money can work harder - sooner.
- Seeing your contribution make a difference in the community is extremely rewarding.
- You will get 33.3% of your donations back through tax deductions.
- And importantly, most of us would like to think that, in some small way, the world might be a better place for the fact that we have been here.
How Giving Circles help our community organisations
Giving Circles are a way to harness the enthusiasm of already passionate people who want to have a meaningful way to contribute. For instance, a local community organisation could encourage their supporters to form a Giving Circle. The annual distribution of that Giving Circle could be split so that a portion could go to that community organisation and a portion to one or more different organisations in the area.
Filling a critical gap in funding is essential as many times a community need will arise outside the annual Acorn Foundation distribution period.