Cancer Society Waikato/WBOP
The Cancer Society of New Zealand is the leading organization dedicated to reducing the incidence of cancer and ensuring the best cancer care for everyone in New Zealand. They are the leading cancer patient advocate in New Zealand, providing a voice on all kinds of issues including cancer detection and treatment. They have a National Office located in Wellington, six regional offices and 16 centres, all involved in raising their own funds and providing local support services. The Waikato/Bay of Plenty division is the second largest division.
The Cancer Society are an independent charity, we are 100% community-funded. Thanks to the generosity of various communities and the dedication of hundreds of volunteers around the region, their services are free. The Cancer Society are dedicated to improving community well-being by minimising the impact and incidence of cancer, providing:
- a wide range of practical assistance and community services for people with cancer and their family/whanau and friends
- access to credible and easy-to-understand information about cancer
- health promotion and education programmes to teach the public how to reduce the risk of cancer through a smoke free, sun smart, healthy lifestyle
- support for research into the causes, detection and treatment of cancer
- advocacy for change at a local and national level for improved cancer control policy based on the evidence.